We moved blogging platforms in the last few days so this looks like Paul Nobles wrote it but in fact it was Shannon (I, Paul Nobles, am porting it over). I hired Shannon as a blogger because she was new to Crossfit and still had a lot of goals in front of her. We all remember these feelings and for new people it’s important to remember that you are not alone and many people that came before you felt all of the same things you feel. If you are interested in some support join the Science Lab and we will help teach you how to Eat To Perform.
Monday, May 29, 2013
I finished Murph…..
No, really, did you hear me? I FINISHED MURPH!!!!
After I jogged all but 1/4 of the first mile, I started my 5-10-15 strategy. 5 rounds in, I thought to myself, “You have been doing Crossfit for only 6 months, you can be just as proud to do half of Murph. Just get to round 10 and do your final mile.”
I will tell you this now…this conversation goes through my head in 75% of my WOD’s . It is something that I battle and have never succombed to since I have started Crossfit, but it speaks to me more often than I want to hear it. It is part of my problem. I am still in the mindset that I am this obese person that no one really expect much from, so if I don’t finish a workout, it is no surprise. “Kudos for trying!” I expect to hear.
Unfortunately, I have made too much of an impression at my box and people expect more from me. Just writing this down is such a milestone from me and I have to say, I have tears in my eyes (Luckily, my husband and son are watching the Blackhawks, game 7, so I could be bawling uncontrollably and they would not notice).
I am so thankful that the people in my box expect more from me. I am grateful for the comments that I still find hard to believe are true from Paul’s posts on ETP. I am thankful for my husband’s comments here and there, calling me skinny.
I really am thankful for all of this and it has made me raise the bar for myself, but honestly, I still don’t always believe it. Don’t get me wrong, I do believe it 60% of the time, but the other 40% of the time, I feel fat. I feel like I could be working harder. I feel like I could still be making better food choices. I feel like if I could do all of these things, I would be 20 pounds lighter and 3 sizes smaller.
Damn Damn Damn!
I wish I could just flip a switch and believe the logic that my head tells me. I KNOW I am on the right path. I KNOW I am stronger. I KNOW that 6 months from now, I will look and feel healthier, stronger and more confident than I do now. Unfortunately, a little part of my heart seems to be speaking louder than my brain….
When I was young, I was INCREDIBLY shy. Not just shy, I was “only speak to people in my immediate family” shy. I was never really aware of this until high school. I would hear people say that they thought I was a snob or bitchy because I didn’t really give them the time of day. Little did they know that I was terrified to talk to them. My self confidence was non-existent. I had no idea what to say to people.
When I moved from Boston to Illinois after my bad breakup, I consciously told myself “I am done being shy. Even if I have to fake my confidence, I will no longer be the person who missed out on opportunities because I am too shy.” I honestly faked being confident for probably about 6 months, when it started coming naturally. This was also during my “eating disorder” time when I was eating less than 1000 calories a day and exercising a ridiculous amount. I still have to be thankful for this period though. This is the period that I met my husband. I had the confidence to just go up and talk to him that night at the racquet club. 3 hours later, I went home realizing that I just met the man I would marry, and wasn’t shy about sharing that with my family.
When people hear this story, they think, “No Way! You were not shy! You are one of the most confident people I know!” Little do they know, I can still fake it pretty flawlessly. It’s my defense mechanism. I am not going to let people know how weak I think I am sometimes. Hell, my husband can count the times he has seen me cry on one hand. I am a rock….or so I want people to think.
All of this is why I am SO proud of how fucking sore I am right now. Never, in my wildest imagination did I EVER think I would do a workout like Murph. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would backsquat 240 pounds. Never, EVER, did I imagine being able to eat logically and exercise with so much determination. Doubt is always there, but it’s just like the powdered donuts…you need to see the logic and sometimes fake it. Fake that you don’t want to quit, fake that you have full confidence of RX’ing a WOD, fake that you are the strongest person in your box….even if deep down you know you are not…if you keep believing it and faking it…you won’t have to eventually, because you will be. I will be…will you?