Carb Nite Solution or Prep Phase of CBL with Crossfit?

low carb

This comes up in virtually every “Science Lab” seminar that we offer free when you purchase things that support our site (it’s mostly stuff you would buy anyway).  Click the link and it will give you more details.  I am really hoping this post clears things up.

That answer is a definite no (in my opinion).  In the first video Kiefer talks about how you can shorten the prep phase of CBL by 3 days by doing HIIT training.  Crossfit is HIIT training for the most part.  So if you Crossfit you are already, mostly, addressing this concern.  Namely the idea of emptying out your glycogen stores.  The other part of this that isn’t insignificant is that you probably already have been low carbing if you follow Paleo.  Much of what I am talking about is about improving metabolic function.  CNS is most for sedentary people.  These two videos explain that and great deal so it should be relatively enlightening to everyone that if he is asking the question “should you be working out on CNS” then you probably shouldn’t be Crossfitting on CNS.

There is another part to this question however because inevitably I always get “but I CNS and do Crossfit and I love it”.  No offense to any of these people but you can’t perform at a high level keeping your carbs under 30g a day like Kiefer is suggesting.  Is there a compromise? Yes, that is what CBL is about, it is an intra day cycling protocol, so that is one strategy.  The other strategy is to use “fat” days as “control” days.  Kiefer covers the concepts of CNS in CBL so buying both books is redundant and CNS is a pretty simply idea.  Basically you cycle your “fats/control” days around your rest days.  So basically you carb up, you WOD with a rest day coming the following day and you keep your carbs lowish.  Not zero or even under 30g, there is no magic to this by the way.  You should still keep your calories relatively high but your control days allows your body to process some of the excess carbohydrate you would rather not have contribute to fat storage.

Carb Nite: Should you Workout?

Share and Enjoy

, ,

10 Responses to Carb Nite Solution or Prep Phase of CBL with Crossfit?

1. James O'Leary March 29, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I was posing myself this exact question…are you a mind reader?!

This is great info Paul, I really appreciate it.

James

2. Kristen March 29, 2013 at 7:27 pm #

Thanks for addressing this! I tried to join the seminar today but was having technical difficulties and couldn’t join the hangout. Looking forward to the next one.

3. Mike sharp March 29, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

Hi there Paul so in your opinion should I invest in cbl to get a better understanding of how it works? I strength train, cycle, and Crossfit so very busy when not working I do use hydrolised protein mixed in with l-leucine, glicean and maltodextrin after my workout and after I prep whites rice and olive oil with either tuna or cheese am I on the right track?

4. Andrew Dunavent March 31, 2013 at 2:32 am #

Paul, I am a 20yr old Crossfitter really trying to turn that boy strength into man strength. I am about13-16% body fat and have been an endurance athlete and soccer player most my life but have never been super strong. Of course I wish I could lean out and get that awesome six pack like other guys, but I am thinking of skipping the prep phase of CBL (I own and read the book) and letting my hormones do their natural puberty spiking and go straight to night time carb binging and serious lifting. Do you think I should do this and skip the prep phase or do you think I should prep my body first. Before I ate relatively healthy. Strict pale 5 days a week and two cheat days.

• Paul Nobles March 31, 2013 at 1:32 pm #

Yes, skip the prep phase, the last few percentages tend to be what I refer to as “muscle earned”.

5. Karen Crosier Edenfield April 1, 2013 at 12:11 am #

My husband and I have bought CNS ebook and now ordered the hardback book. We are in our 50′s and crossfit 5-6X a week and both have physically labor jobs.We have eaten 80% paleo (for over 6 months)with more cheat days then we should and drank beer and wine. We are finishing our 3rd day of prep. Should we go the 9 or or skip the prep phase. We have fat to lose! we are doing great so far. BUt will continue to work out. He is already losing! We are ALL IN when it comes to your plan and his stomach issues are better after only 3 days! THANKS for any help you can offer. we will sign up for the science lab too~

• Paul Nobles April 1, 2013 at 12:09 pm #

Drop CNS and move to CBL, it’s holding you back and potentially harming your metabolism Crossfitting that much.

6. Corey April 1, 2013 at 7:31 pm #

I just started CNS (first carb nite was last Sat) and have about 90-100 more pounds to lose. I’ve lost about 90 already in the last 15 months or so from doing low carb paleo and then a more calorie restricted low carb approach when that plateaued, then I tried the zone when that didn’t work. I suspected a retarded metabolism so I switched to CNS. I do 4 resistance training days a week often followed by a short 6-8 minute WOD. I probably average 3-4 WODs per week. With a large amount of fat to lose would you still recommend ditching CNS in favor of CBL? CBL seems attractive because the WODs really suck with the low carb diets. That was one thing I liked about the zone, my crossfitting was much improved. I am willing to suck at crossfit if it means I’ll get this weight off quicker. Thanks.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes