Dialing Paleo in for performance is a big part of what we do in the “Science Lab” seminars that we offer free when you purchase things that support our site (it’s mostly stuff you would buy anyway). Click the link and it will give you more details.
Easy additions to make your Paleo Challenges go from broken to unbroken for Crossfit (this is a Crossfitter page after all):
1. Don’t eliminate Paleo starches like sweet potatoes (some do)
2. Don’t eliminate salt or condiments that make healthy foods more palatable.
3. Quit asking athletes to workout in a distress mode eating at a deficiency. Not only is this not necessary it is actually detrimental to their body composition and athletic progress goals. I will concede that noob gains offsets some of this but if you are a Crossfit Affiliate you are probably aware that you lose some clients that end up sick or hurt as a result of not eating enough food trying to adhere to a standard they don’t fully understand.
4. Let’s stop the demonization of Energy Dense Paleo foods. Examples might be pulled pork, 85/15 grass fed ground beef and grass fed rib eyes. It’s hard to eat enough unsalted chicken breasts to meet your energy needs daily.
5. Lastly and most importantly, let’s keep in and encourage energy dense Paleo friendly dessert options like my coconut milk smoothies (it doesn’t need to be every day but I do it every day). I’ll even throw in 80% or more Dark Chocolate (yummy with fruit like blueberries or strawberries) and even red wine. Or Coconut Milk Smoothies like these.
I try not to be too preachy but we are “Weight Watchering” Paleo and it’s leaving our athletes worse as a result. 100% Paleo for life is unrealistic, do 6 month or year long challenges that whole families would participate in because we don’t need to make Paleo suck for it to work.