Ladies Cinnamon Roll Challenge

Cinnamon Rolls

If you are looking to optimize your nutrition so that you can perform at your peak, consider purchasing Metabolic Flexibility for Fat Loss.  You’ll be granted access to the Eat To Perform Science Lab and get the help you need every step of the way to accomplish your goals.

There are four common myths I am hoping to dispel with this exercise but the participants are under no obligation to confirm what I suspect.  The three myths go like this:

1.  Sugar is toxic (not only is it not toxic for athletes it can be used as a very effective energy source, the does always matters and since you will be eating it before bed your blood sugar will auto regulate.  So no cravings throughout the day.)

2.  Eating poorly hurts my workouts (this logically makes no sense in moderation, certainly if you have a 12 pack of beer the night before and attempt to Crossfit that might not work out so well.  More energy from an energy dense source should always be favorable in workouts)

3.  Calories in versus Calories out (I am actually a calorie agnostic, it’s really the only measuring tool we have so I am not a hater but even the most ardent defender of calories in calories out could not make a proper case for the concept when metabolism is not functioning correctly).

4.  Don’t eat carbs at night.

Here is how we will set up how you will eat

Eat under 30g of carbs throughout the day excluding fibrous vegetables (meaning you should eat these for size) and eat normal, no different than you normally might.  Delay breakfast for an hour or two and eat fats and proteins (no fruit).  For lunch let’s stick with fats and proteins still and as close to possible 0 carbs until about 6pm (once again veggies are cool).  Do not under eat in anticipation of your treat (I am on to you ladies).  Ground beef at lunch will help you for later workouts (taco salad kind of thing).  In the evening I want you to eat relatively normal with really no rules, ideally if you are working out the following day have some sweet potatoes.

Every morning you will weigh yourself

The numbers aren’t important I just need pluses and minuses and keep a log of how you feel.  Also you will keep a workout log, nothing too big (workout sucked or workout was awesome is fine).  I’m not going to tell you my expectation for this but you should know there is a risk the scale could go up.  However it’s only 4 days, so the risk of dramatic weight gain is pretty small.

Who should do this?

Obviously if you have diabetes this isn’t smart.  I would also ask those that are carrying a fair amount of fat avoid the challenge as well.  So you are lean but have that last bit of fat left to go.  Ideally you are a pretty clean eater and you are struggling to figure out how to get rid of that last bit of fat.

When do I eat the Cinnamon Roll?

30 minutes before you go to bed.  Here is what you will be eating.  You will be eating one of this each day for 4 days (yes with the sugar on top).  http://udisglutenfree.com/products/cinnamon-rolls/

Share and Enjoy

, , , ,

18 Responses to Ladies Cinnamon Roll Challenge

1. RFR February 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm #

Isn’t this just basically backloading?

• Paul Nobles February 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm #

This would come no where near the recommendations for carb backloading. This is more of a way for gals to dip their toes in the water of a different approach. What I see with most of my female clients is a fear of putting on too many pounds. Guys don’t have similar concerns as a general rule.

• KRJ March 1, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

I’m doing this. You didn’t say when to start, but I started today. Do you want me to report back to you here or on facebook? I can’t decide what to have for my treat at night….

• Paul Nobles March 1, 2013 at 8:18 pm #

facebook or here, both work

2. Janice March 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

So after 4 days – what should we find? Better workouts or the lose of a few pounds?

• Paul Nobles March 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm #

it should be favorable for metabolism and as long as you are eating as I prescribed your wait shouldn’t go up. You should definitely perform better because you will have more energy but I am sure everyone’s experiment will net interesting results.

3. KRJ March 5, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

Ok, I did it and here are my results. Weight, day 2 up, day 3 down, day 4 up. I don’t care about my weight at this point. The exciting part is I lost fat! I can see a difference in my stomach! It was hard to make myself eat the “bad” carbs. Maybe I shouldn’t say hard but not feeling guilt for it was a little hard. I am the person you described, Been doing crossfit for over a year and eating paleo for almost that long. And, not seeing the results I expected. I just want to shed that last bit of fat that just won’t budge. Thank you for getting this info out there! Now what should I do? Go back to eating like I did before and CBL occassionally? I still have a little fat to lose.

4. Rachel March 8, 2013 at 2:00 am #

For clarification, this phrase, “Eat under 30g of carbs throughout the day excluding fibrous vegetables” means that I should avoid those vegetables, or that fibrous vegetables do not count toward that 30 grams and that I SHOULD be eating them? I’m a little confused by the wording. Thank you!

• Paul Nobles March 8, 2013 at 9:44 am #

agreed. Fibrous veggies don’t count towards that carb total.

• Rachel March 8, 2013 at 12:00 pm #

So eat them freely all day long? What is it that is being limited then…just fruit?

5. Sabrina March 11, 2013 at 11:50 am #

I am going to try this challenge today too! Also a lil confused on this wording. This may be a stupid question but,…what are considered “fibrous veggies”?

• Paul Nobles March 11, 2013 at 1:12 pm #

things like Kale, spinach, brocoli. If it’s a vegetable, even a carrot I don’t sweat it.

• Sabrina March 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm #

Thanks. I have lotsa spinach on hand. And carrots. I’ll have a salad. I aint even gonna lie…I am sooooo looking forward to that cinnamon roll tonite, lol!

• Paul Nobles March 12, 2013 at 8:58 am #

really would like to know how this goes for you.

6. nicia625 March 27, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

So I know this is a little late but I’m starting this today and very excited and curious for the results. I work 3p-3a in the emergency room and usually WOD at 11:30am on days I work. This past year I have struggled to maintain lifts or just flat out fallen off. I usually feel weak during workouts and watched other girls lean out and get strong while I have not. I have eaten paleo (with some local grassfed cheese on occasion) for about 2 years now and Crossfitter for the same. I will get back to you in 4 days to let you know how it goes!

• Paul Nobles March 29, 2013 at 11:27 am #